I love cryotherapy! Being an athlete my whole life I have focused more on the exercise and the intensity, instead of recovery. Cryotherapy is my blessing! Cryotherapy isn’t just for athletes though! This machine helps your body heal itself! Whatever your symptoms are, Cryotherapy can help YOU!
Cryotherapy is COLD so that the blood vessels constrict, help flush waste products in your body, help reduce swelling and tissue breakdown. For those of us who are athletes, it helps combat the small tears we get in our muscle fibers and the soreness we get from the intense or repetitive exercises that we do.
The extreme cold send signals to the brain that stimulate the bodies regulatory functions. The brain scans the body for organs that are not working properly. The extreme cold triggers the release of anti-inflammatory molecules and endorphin’s.
What is Cryotherapy?:
The Wikipedia explains what cryotherapy is here:
“Whole body cryotherapy (WBC) was initially intended for use in a clinical setting to treat patients with conditions such as multiple sclerosis and rheumatoid arthritis, and although WBC is provided in over 50 European hospitals and medical clinics, it has now been implemented in many spas, and athletic training facilities as well; Elite athletes have recently reported using the treatment to alleviate delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) after exercise.”
Cryotherapy has been used for 3o plus years in Europe and Asia. Europe has been using Cryotherapy as a way to treat inflammation and and injuries.
The Health Benefits of Cryotherapy:
- Increase white blood cell count
- Flushes lactic acid out of your body
- Boost the immune system
- Help kill bad bacteria
- Improves various skin conditions
- Produce Collagen
- Increase Endorphins
- Help decrease inflammation
- Help the healing process for injuries
- Relieve soreness or muscle and joint pain
- Reduce muscle metabolism
- Improve energy and mood
- Stimulate weight loss
- Improve skin health
- Soothe Musculular and skeletal skin and pain
- Athletic Performance
- Improve post surgery recovery
- Relieve psychological stress
- Treat insomnia
Tony Robbins is an American motivational speaker whose favorite piece of technology is the Cryo Machine.
What is Going on During Cryotherapy?:
HB Cryo Rehab in Huntington Beach, California explain the Science of Cryotherapy clearly:
STEP 1: CLIENT ENTERS CRYOSAUNA As the client enters the cryosauna, the ultra cooled nitrogen gas triggers thermo-receptors in the dermis which send electrical impulses to the brain and central nervous system indicating the extreme external environment. This activates a system wide innate response as the brain prepares to mount a defense mechanism against the cold environment.
STEP 2: VASOCONSTRICTION The brain and central nervous system send signals to the muscular and vascular systems to contract and constrict which quickly transports the body’s blood, nutrients and resources from its periphery to the vital organs in the body’s core.
STEP 3: BLOOD DETOXIFICATION & ENRICHMENT To provide the vital organs with the most nutrient and resource-rich environment possible, the body enters a hyper-production period and blood is enriched with erythrocytes, oxygen, collagen and other essential nutrients. Detrimental bi-products and toxins in the blood are also broken down and removed.
STEP 4: VASODILATION After the client exits the cryosauna, thermo-receptors in the dermis detect the return to normal environment which triggers vasodilation and the return of enriched blood to the body’s periphery. As the blood returns, the excess of nutrients is absorbed by the body’s peripheral systems (muscles, tendons, ligaments, soft tissue, skin, etc).
Here are some fun facts to know:
- How often to use:
- If you are in rehab, no more than 2 times a day
- If you are in heavy training, no more than 2 times a day
- For normal overall maintenance to keep the body in Optimal Health: 2 – 3 times a week
- Length of time in the machine:
- The normal time to be in the machine is 3 minutes.
- The maximum time you can be in the machine is 6 minutes
- Different Levels in the machine:
- Level one: -110°c or -166°f
- Level two: -120°c or -184°f
- Level three: -140°c or -220°f
- Super star: -140°c or -220°f
- What clothes that you wear which are dry:
- Body Temperature Change during the session:
- Cryotherapy lowers the clients skin temperature 30 – 50° Fahrenheit in a 2 – 3 minute session.
- The core body temperature remains unchanged, but it may drop slightly afterwards.
- Air in the Chamber:
- The same nitrogen that we breathe 78% of, is the same nitrogen that is use in the chamber.
- There are chambers that mix nitrogen with
- Insurance coverage:
- In the United States it is not covered as they consider it to be non-medical wellness
- In many European countries it is covered under one’s medical insurance coverage
What Cryotherapy is for each person is going to be different. For me personally, it is part of my Wholistic Lifestyle!
If I can do it (and I don’t like the cold) YOU CAN!
Elisabeth with HB CRYOREHAB owner, Mylon Mazzotta
Do your body a favor, give it a Cryo Treatment!
Follow us Facebook!
Sign up for one of our Services TODAY, and let’s begin Re-Designing Your Life!
*These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.